Monday, February 22, 2010

The Snapshot

I worked on the face a little more (okay, overworked, as usual), but I think it has a little better depth. It probably doesn’t look like much progress, so to make your visit worth your while, I’m also posting the photo I’m working from.
(Okay, I admit it—it’s a self-portrait, at my husband’s request.)

My camera and graphics program render the hues a bit more saturated and overall lighter than the actual work in progress, but they provide the general idea.

...and I'm not too crazy about the floating image. I guess I like props for a painting, but I think black works well for a photographic image. Oh well, too late now...

8 comments:

  1. I like the black background, nothing to distract from the subject. The changes in the face are noticable. Some colour correction? And your expression looks softer.. more in keeping with the photo.

    Is this your first self-portrait? Is it harder than painting someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I did some pencil drawings back in high school, but nothing since then. To be honest, I get bored with my face, and because I see it everyday, I’m far more critical of whether it ‘looks like me.’ I figured I should probably do one before my youth has slipped away—so there you have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my second trip to this site. The first time, couldnt think of a "cool" single word. I have had time to think now..hummm let me think,,,still speechless.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Glen--you do realize the top one is a photograph, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought the second one was the photo... yes, i did know, because you left the masking tape one the bottom one,,:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beautiful! I've never done a self portrait except with photography. I guess that counts. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A photographic self-portrait definitely counts--composition is just as much an issue, getting the lighing right, and then there's finding one that 'feels' like you.

    ReplyDelete

You don't have to comment, but I won't stop you...