Monday, January 30, 2012

Collecting Water

 Today I thought I'd post the image I'm working from (taken by Liza Carens Salerno) and a close-up of the boat, since that's the only area I've given attention since I last posted. It's so much fun working on all the boat innards! The outside still needs a whole lot of the work to get the paint peeling, and I'm by no means done with the inside (haven't gotten to the point of overworking, don't you know).

You'll notice I compressed the space between the two subjects (maybe you won't notice, but I did, just a little). I also cut some of the foreground, made some adjustment to compensate for lens distortion, and simplified the composition (that is, I removed the lobster boat and land on the horizon).

What drew me to this picture is, well, the peeling paint, but even more so, the water inside the boat. It's kind of an ironic version of water reflection. I could have simply painted the boat, which is cool in itself, but I love the setting--it gives the overall painting more of the 'feel' I was looking for.

To give you a sense of size, my painting is 8" x 11", and the section above is approximately 6" x 6".Now, back to the drawing table...

6 comments:

  1. Is it okay to say that I like the painting better than the photo? I'm happy to see that you like old derelicts....makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old derelicts have character! What's not to love?

      And Liza is quick to point out that she's not professional--though some of her work really is professional quality; she has an artistic eye. She was gracious enough to sort through some of her archived images for something I might use, even though she may not consider it her very best work. Personally, I just love it. There were actually quite a few of her photos that inspired me. I might do another--who knows? :)

      Delete
  2. Bridget, I am loving how this is coming along... and I agree with Jerry. Actually, your painting looks more like the real boat than the picture...if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just because I can accentuate details and some of the contrast, which our visual receptors (fancy term for eyes) find appealing, which tells the brain that the painting appears more realistic...okay, I just made that up, but I think I could argue it...:)

      Delete
  3. Details is everything. You hit the nail on the head with old derelicts having character. That's it exactly. I love the mossy and mildewy bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You could tell it was mossy and mildewy! :)

      Delete

You don't have to comment, but I won't stop you...